Wedding in Ukraine: Visa and wedding transcription

Now with all our documents ready:

– 2 Photos of the Ukrainian citizen
– Wedding certificate legalized and translated in Italian
– Passports

you can go to the Italian embassy in Kiev and ask for the transcription of your wedding and then apply for the visa.

Wedding transcription

This is the first thing you need to do. Go to the office, (the “carabiniere” at the entrance will show you were to go) and give your translated wedding certificate. The embassy will give you back a copy of it to be used when you will apply for the visa.

The embassy will not give you back the original of the wedding certificate. So apart from the copy for the visa office, ask also for an extra copy, authenticated, which you will need once in Italy.

Visa application

Now go to the visa office, the door just after the entrance of the embassy. Here you need to fill out 3 forms:

– 2 copies of the visa application (one they will give you back as receipt)
– the declaration for the “ricongiungimento familiare”

Fill out the first 2 forms answering to the questions with exception of those with the asterisk, which are not required.

The second form is a simple declaration where you ask the visa for your husband or wife.

A copy of these modules is available on the site of the Italian embassy in Kiev:

Type of visas:

– Ricongiungimento familiare
– Familiare al seguito

The difference is very simple: If you travel back to Italy together with you husband or wife then apply for the visa “familiare al seguito” if not then apply for the other one.

If you apply for the visa “familiare al seguito” it is possible that it will be released faster. In this case you need to give also a copy of your tickets for to show that you really travel together.

Required time and difficulties

This kind of visa is give without particular trubles since the Ukrainian citizen is your wife or husband and so you have the right to keep your family together.

In general this visa is issued in few days. It is refused only for serious reasons and the refuse has to be motivated (this doesn’t happen for the touristic visa, which refusal is not motivated).

Where to get back your passport with visa?

The passport will be sent to you with the help of FedEx. At the embassy, after that you have given the visa application, they will ask you to fill out another form where you need to write the address where you want your passport to be delivered and also the name of another person which can take it for you. If you want, you can take it back directly at the FedEx office in Kiev.

Which kind of visa will you get?

The issued visa should be D+C Multi.

Multi = multi entrance
D = Visa for long staying or National
C = Schengen visa

The visa should last 365 days with the exception of the Schengen part (C) which last max 90 days.

For more info on the visa types:

Visas’ database:

When to go to the embassy (also for the transcription)

Monday – Thursday: 9.15 – 13.15 e 15.15 – 16.30
Without appointment.

Wedding procedures

1 For the list of documents given by the Italian Embassy in Kiev (in Italian) visit:

2 How to get the Nulla osta from the embassy:

3 What to do once you have gotten your nulla osta:

4 For to know which documents bring to the ZAGS:

5 Fill out the wedding request form at the ZAGS (translated in English):

6 The wedding day

7 Legalization and translation of the wedding certificate:

Fill out the wedding request form at the ZAGS

In this post we publish and translate the wedding request form given by the ZAGS which must be filled out by both future husband and wife.

Modulo matrimonio Ucrainaside A

Modulo richiesta matrimonioside B

Side A

This module is composed by a singular paper printed on both sides.
(We wrote side A and B just for to make easier the translation)

Upper part of the page:

On the right you have to write: name, patronymic and surname.

Under it on the left, there is written:
The appointment for the registration is (day, month, year)
The wedding was registered (day, month, year) Act number.

(Here you don’t have to write anything, this part is for the ZAGS)

Body of the page:

Request of wedding registration

The area called ВІН is for the man and ВОНА for the bride.

1 Surname
2 Nome
3 Patronymic
4 Birthday and age
5 Place of birth (city, village, rayon, oblast’, country)
6 Citizenship

7 Military conscription
In this part you are requested to write if you did the military conscription or not.
(probable it is important only for Ukrainian citizenship)

8 Family status (Single, Widow, Divorced)
If divorced, write the name of the document that prove it.
Number and date of the document which prove your wife/husband died.

9 Place of residence
(Full address with zip code)
Zip code
building and flat number

10 Identity document
Series and number
Released by and when

At the bottom of the page:

There are not obstacles for the wedding celebration. We want to get marry and
we ask to register our wedding according to the law.

After the wedding we want the following surnames:
(Here you are requested to write your surname after wedding. Man on the right and woman on the left)

The last few lines are to be filled out by the ZAGS.

Side B

We know about the consequences of the wedding.
We take the responsibility to inform each other about our medical conditions.
We know our right and duties as future husband and wife and parents.

We are aware about the consequences that false information can bring.

We ask to register our wedding with ceremony/without ceremony.
(write the date)

We agree/don’t agree to exchange medical documents about our health conditions.

Signature, before the man and then the woman.

At the bottom of the page:
Write you phone numbers.


At the ZAGS you will find also some filled out sample of this form. From it you can take the answer you need.


This form is the one given in Donetsk. It should be the same for every city but we can’t be sure about this.

Wedding procedures:

1 For the list of documents given by the Italian Embassy in Kiev visit: (in Italian)

2 How to get the Nulla osta from the embassy:

3 What to do once you have gotten your nulla osta:

4 For to know which documents bring to the ZAGS:

5 The wedding day

6 Legalization and translation of the wedding certificate:

NEW (UPDATED 21/04/09): Possible reintroduction of the Visa regime for the EU citizens.

The Ukrainian authorities are now studying the possibility to abolish the Free Visa regime for the citizens of the European Union.

This means the reintroduction of a full fledged Visa regime as it was before the decision taken by President Yushenko during 2005.

There is who say that everything should be already ready for May 7th.

There are also other voices who speak about the possibility of a simple reduction of the free visa maximum stay from 90 to 30 days or even about the possible introduction of a Visa, tax on the arrival on the Turkish style.

The reason of all this a primary on the missed abolition or at least true simplification of the Schengen Visa for the Ukrainian citizens.

In fact are more and more the people who complain about the difficulties , sometimes true nightmares, for to get a Schengen Visa.

Nowadays it is still not clear if all this will stay just simple words for to attract the attention of the European Union or will true be followed by concrete facts.

There is only more to say that all this happen during an hard competition for the future presidential elections.

We also don’t know if the possible reintroduction of Visa will be also for the other countries such as USA and Canada.

When we will have some more information we will share it with you!


Today, we heard at the radio that the discussion is proceeding and the final decision will probable come for May 7th. Until now, there are voice saying the price of the possible visa will be of 35 Euro for both US and EU citizens.


Until now there are no particular news on the possible visa reintroduction.
Anyway even if the decision should be taken between May and June the new dispositions should come in force in several months if not from next year.

Another news: President Yushenko sent back to the parliament the proposal of law obliging foreigners and stateless person to submit biometric data when apply for a visa starting from 2010.


How to: Ukrainian customs declaration. English version

Customs declaration Ukraine

It is not needed to fill out the custom declaration if you travel just with your personal items (clothes, notebook, camera, mobile phone, etc) and if you don’t have with you big sum of money.

The most common situation for which you need to fill out the declaration are:

-big sum of money (several thousands of Dollars)
-goods, presents the total value of which exceed the sum of 200 euro or equiv.
-more than 1 liter of spirits, 2 of wine and 5 of beer
-cigarettes max 200 or 200 gram of tobacco
-Antiques and works of arts, musical instruments
-Flora and fauna objects, their parts and products obtained of them
-Food for personal use which value is more than 50 euro

-Lost or sent separately luggage (ex. when your bag didn’t arrive with you)

This list provide only the most common situation, but exist also other limitations (ex. weapons, radioactive materials, etc).
The values and the items described in the list can change with the time.

For more information visit:
or call: +380442817379 (I don’t know if they speak English)

If you don’t have anything to declare, then pass through the “Green Corridor” without filling out the declaration. If you have something to declare then follow the “Red Corridor” with your custom declaration.


Even if you pass through the “Green corridor” it is possible that the guards will ask you to open the bag. (this doesn’t happen so often and at the opposite of what people may think the Ukrainian officers are quite polite)


Take with you all possible receives of the important items that you take with you both presents and personal items. (i mean for ex. notebook or any object that cost not so few)
The same about the things you will buy in Ukraine.


For to see the Customs declaration in Ukrainian:

Customs declaration (Ukrainian version)

This is the module you should fill out in the case you have something to declare at the Ukrainian customs. (red corridor)
Usually you have to fill out this module when you travel with a big sum of money or very precious items.
If you travel just with your personal things… mobile phone, notebook… than you don’t need this declaration.
In this case pass through the green corridor.

Customs declaration Ukraine

You have also to fill out this declaration if your luggage is lost.

This customs declaration is in Ukrainian but at the airport you will be able to find also the English version.

Further information:

Official web site of Ukrainian Customs:

Ukrainian Customs Declaration in English: