Wedding in Ukraine: Visa and wedding transcription

Now with all our documents ready:

– 2 Photos of the Ukrainian citizen
– Wedding certificate legalized and translated in Italian
– Passports

you can go to the Italian embassy in Kiev and ask for the transcription of your wedding and then apply for the visa.

Wedding transcription

This is the first thing you need to do. Go to the office, (the “carabiniere” at the entrance will show you were to go) and give your translated wedding certificate. The embassy will give you back a copy of it to be used when you will apply for the visa.

The embassy will not give you back the original of the wedding certificate. So apart from the copy for the visa office, ask also for an extra copy, authenticated, which you will need once in Italy.

Visa application

Now go to the visa office, the door just after the entrance of the embassy. Here you need to fill out 3 forms:

– 2 copies of the visa application (one they will give you back as receipt)
– the declaration for the “ricongiungimento familiare”

Fill out the first 2 forms answering to the questions with exception of those with the asterisk, which are not required.

The second form is a simple declaration where you ask the visa for your husband or wife.

A copy of these modules is available on the site of the Italian embassy in Kiev:

Type of visas:

– Ricongiungimento familiare
– Familiare al seguito

The difference is very simple: If you travel back to Italy together with you husband or wife then apply for the visa “familiare al seguito” if not then apply for the other one.

If you apply for the visa “familiare al seguito” it is possible that it will be released faster. In this case you need to give also a copy of your tickets for to show that you really travel together.

Required time and difficulties

This kind of visa is give without particular trubles since the Ukrainian citizen is your wife or husband and so you have the right to keep your family together.

In general this visa is issued in few days. It is refused only for serious reasons and the refuse has to be motivated (this doesn’t happen for the touristic visa, which refusal is not motivated).

Where to get back your passport with visa?

The passport will be sent to you with the help of FedEx. At the embassy, after that you have given the visa application, they will ask you to fill out another form where you need to write the address where you want your passport to be delivered and also the name of another person which can take it for you. If you want, you can take it back directly at the FedEx office in Kiev.

Which kind of visa will you get?

The issued visa should be D+C Multi.

Multi = multi entrance
D = Visa for long staying or National
C = Schengen visa

The visa should last 365 days with the exception of the Schengen part (C) which last max 90 days.

For more info on the visa types:

Visas’ database:

When to go to the embassy (also for the transcription)

Monday – Thursday: 9.15 – 13.15 e 15.15 – 16.30
Without appointment.

Wedding procedures

1 For the list of documents given by the Italian Embassy in Kiev (in Italian) visit:

2 How to get the Nulla osta from the embassy:

3 What to do once you have gotten your nulla osta:

4 For to know which documents bring to the ZAGS:

5 Fill out the wedding request form at the ZAGS (translated in English):

6 The wedding day

7 Legalization and translation of the wedding certificate: